Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Family That Skies Together

I love cross country skiing.  Some of my best childhood memories are of going out to the farm and going skiing with my aunt and parents in the woods on snowmobile trails.  Then we would go back to my aunts house for homemade pizza and movies.  They were the perfect winter Saturdays.
That's me in the heart snow suit- don't mind one ski is completely backwards.
In high school after my several year obsession with down hill skiing I finally came back to my roots and joined the nordic ski team my junior year.  Being on the team was so much fun and it only helped solidify my desire to go to college in the UP where there would always be enough snow for skiing.
Nothing better than skiing in the middle of winter in nothing but a spandex suit- why did I like being on the ski team?
Skiing became more of a fitness routine than an enjoyable Saturday afternoon activity while I was in college.  Probably because I had to squeeze skiing in between my classes when it was still light out and I was skiing alone.  But one Christmas my parents bought David skies and then we all started skiing together when they came to Tech to visit.  Those are the skiing memories from college that have really stuck with me.

And one of our ski trips to Ely Dave asked my dad for my hand in marriage.  It wasn't even an hour later and my mom told me what he had asked my dad.  I guess she didn't realize it was a secret.

I only hope that the boys will share our enthusiasm for skiing.  Hopefully they will have warm memories like I do of skiing with their parents, because I already do with them.



1 comment:

Dave said...

We loved the pictures. I had forgotten about that snowsuit you had for at least two winters. I am sure that one got passed down. You showed that determination. I love strong women and you were one at a very young age.