Saturday, February 18, 2012

When Most Go South We Went North

Well we're back from our "winter getaway".  Literally we went away to where winter is.  Dave and I graduated from Michigan Tech, so for the first five years of our relationship we called the Upper Peninsula of Michigan home.  When we realized that winter might never come to Minnesota (I used to call it Minne"snow"ta, but this year it's Minne"no-snow"ta) Dave found a cabin on Lake Superior to rent for a week.  Grandmas and Grandpas all agreed to come even though the sleeping arrangements were a little tight.


We had a beautiful view right from our cabin.  It was Winter Carnival the weekend we arrived so we got to watch two hockey games, the Torch Parade and fireworks, walk around campus and look at snow sculptures.  We also went back to the church Dave and I met at for mass.  Little did we know the Bishop would be there to bless the restored Organ they just put in the choir loft.  So mass went a little long, but the boys did great!

We stopped to watch the Hutch Tiger's play Pond Hockey (or that's what Adam thought).  Really it was a broomball game.
Broomball is pretty much the official sport of Michigan Tech.  I enjoyed playing even though most of the game I was sprawled out on the ice

My favorite Fraternity Statue (it got 4th place- but I liked it best):
The first place Sorority Statue which also happened to be my favorite:

There was also plenty of time for playing hockey in the cabin and cross country skiing.  It was everything I was looking forward to and more.  We're already thinking about looking for a cabin to rent for next winter.  This time we're hoping we'll be closer to Houghton and the cross country ski trails.  But it is fun to drive around the Keewenaw and see all of the history in the little towns.

I'm sure I'll post more pictures and stories from our week vacation, but right now the boys are both up and we're going to go to the mall for the Kid's Carnival.  Wish me luck managing both boys by myself (Dave is playing in a volleyball tournament that Adam's Godmother organized).

No comments: