Saturday, October 27, 2012

Spooky Sprint


Pretty much as soon as I finished my half marathon last week my brain switched to the Spooky Sprint. It's a fun Halloween themed 5k here in Hutch. Dave decided to run this year when he came up with his costume idea- Discount Double Check guy from the State Farm commercials. Last year I was so proud of my zoo idea and I wanted to try to top it.  My inspiration finally came Thursday night for my costume.  I changed Eli's Monkey costume into a little Ewok with a t-shirt and I was Princess Leia. Again I did all of the work the night before the race including shopping for my costume and crafting.

I signed Adam up for the kids dash. He seemed excited- all week he told me he was going to run in his race with Hayden. So we found Hayden (Dash Incredible in the picture) and stood by him before the race. Once the race started I grabbed his hand to run with him and basically dragged him across the start line- and then he was done. Hope to have better luck next year.
Then it was time for me to run my race. Grandma and Grandpa watched the boys so we could run. After about a mile all I could think is- man this is fast and I really don't like 5k's. I got a PB by 1 second 24:54. In what is becoming a theme this year- they missed my finish because they went to warm up across the street at Hutch Cafe (not that I blame them it was extremely cold). And as a side note this last week one of my coworkers introduced me to athlinks.com and I found the time and date for my first 5k ever 31:52- which was exactly 11 years ago today (because in Minnesota cross country the girls run 4k's)!

Dave also ran the 5k and I'm pretty sure this is the first time he's trained for a race. He ran with the wig and Cheesehead on and he yelled, "Discount Double Check!" as he ran past me and several others.  29:31 was his time. After the race and breakfast we went across the street to the State Farm office downtown to recreate the commercials.


No comments: