Saturday, June 1, 2013

Boys Like Camping? No Way!

I've been camping with our friend Tom for over 10 years. In college I belonged to an organization that went on camping and hiking trips- basically anything outdoors and I got spoiled by going on several trips lead by Tom. He's detail oriented and plans with massive gear and food spreadsheets so that nothing gets left behind or forgotten. And he makes an awesome dutch oven upside pineapple cake. So when he and his wife Jamie asked if we wanted to go camping memorial day weekend at Gooseberry Falls State Park we said yes!
We left Saturday just before lunch since Dave was working until 10 PM on Friday night. I always think I'll pack ahead of time so we can just leave, but the problem is there are too many other things that I would rather do than pack, so per usual we got up on Saturday morning, took several hours packing and then got on the road. We got to the campsite around 3:30 and then set up the Taj Mahal tent. It was chilly and there were no leaves on the trees, but the boys were excited.
On Sunday we played, ate breakfast and then when the boys were getting stir crazy (and Eli close to nap crabby) we packed up lunches and went for a group hike. Eli promptly fell asleep on my back and I had fun photographing our friends interacting with my son. 

Eli woke up in time to eat lunch on a rock next to the waterfall.

We packed up to go home on Monday morning. Fifteen minutes after getting in the car Eli was passed out napping and Adam was asking me when will we go camping again. I think they had fun!

No comments: