Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Welcome Isaac Henry


Isaac Henry  
6 pounds 13.3 ounces
19.25" Long
7:41 am 
Monday June 9th 2014

This birth was our first scheduled birth so it was a little different going to bed the night before knowing the next day was baby day. We woke up extra early and got to the hospital at 5:30 am. I got an IV and a run down of our hospital stay and at 7:20 am I was whisked away to the OR in a wheel chair. The whole way there I was nervous and my jaw was shaking. I don't like the idea of surgery, but I also didn't like the idea of a failed VBAC or worse- fourth degree tears that could possibly cause life long complications and more surgeries. This time the placing of the spinal block was much faster and smoother and after the warm and tingles set in I wasn't cold and I started deep breathing to relax.

I was almost worried we'd start before Dave showed up. Next thing I new he was by my side holding my hand (and my arms weren't strapped to the table which made me feel more like a patient- less like an inmate). There was lots of pressure and tugging and then I heard the cry before I think he was even out of my womb. Immediately Dave and I both had tears in our eyes. We were parents of a third healthy boy.

Our OB was a little upset that Isaac didn't get a 10 out of 10 apgar score- he got a 9. Isaac was our healthiest baby at birth, he didn't have meconium like both his brothers. I was able to see the baby warmer off to the side as the nurses cleaned him up before Dave brought him to me. And then I got my wish and Isaac and David and the two OB nurses stayed with me in recovery and this time I felt zero pain. I got to do kangaroo care and breast feed less than 30 minutes of his birth. I was an extremely happy mom!

Dave said it was the first birth that I never had the gray pain look in my face following the birth. I stayed on top of my pain meds and tried to get up and walk around as soon as possible the day of surgery. I didn't believe my friends who said second c-sections and scheduled c-sections are less painful than first and unplanned c-sections, but for some reason they really are.

Excuse me my new baby is crying and I will have to post again later!

No comments: