Sunday, December 19, 2010

No one likes Ammonia

Poor Little Man had pneumonia this week. When I picked him up on Monday he was sitting at a table all by himself and kind of spacing out. He felt warm to me and he did have a low grade fever (like 99). Otherwise he was pretty darn normal that night. We were up three or four times early Tuesday morning with him, but his fever was still below 1oo. We had our ultrasound at 8 AM so we took Adam with to make sure he was feeling ok before taking him to school. He seemed totally healthy and fine. So we took him to daycare. I had a two hour meeting and by the time I got back to my desk I had a message that I needed to come pick Adam up. His fever was 102 or something. I called Dave and then left. He was a sleep on his cot when I got there at 11 AM.

On the car ride home I asked Adam if he was hungry and he said yes. I fed him a pb&j and then put him back down for a nap. He had a fever, but he ate and seemed OK. Dave relieved me at 2 PM so I could make it back for a meeting and by then Adam was up from his nap. Dave called me around 4 and said he was going to take Adam to urgent care. He was lethargic and ibuprofen wasn't knocking his fever down.

I met them at the doctor's office and figured we'd get the typical "it's a virus and he'll get over it." Instead the doctor said she thought he was too sick for it to be just a virus. So he had to get his blood drawn, throat swabbed and a chest x-ray. We had a long wait for the results and all Adam did was sleep on me. He little heart was racing, his fever was high and his breathing was fast. The doctor told us there was a dark spot in his lungs, so they were going to treat it like pneumonia (the radiologist was gone). She asked if he had a cough and we said not really, but for the last few weeks he's coughed once or twice when he gets up in the morning but then he's fine. She said we had to make a follow up appointment and if he got any worse bring him right back to the clinic or the ER. She even mentioned that he may have to be hospitalized. I was freaked. My baby was so pathetically ill.

We kept alternating ibuprofen and Tylenol and prayed that the antibiotics would work. Wednesday I went to work in the morning and Dave went in the afternoon. Dave said Adam seemed better, but by the time I got home he seemed the same as Tuesday night. All he did was sleep on me, I put him down twice. Dave took Adam to the follow up appointment Wednesday night. The radiologist diagnosed him with pneumonia. Basically the doctor said keep doing what we were doing.

Thursday I stayed home all day. Thankfully his fever broke Wednesday night and he started eating more. He still napped a lot, but he didn't have a fever all day. We all went out to dinner to get out of the house that night and Adam was in great spirits. So Friday he went back to school. Dave told Adam Friday night that he needed to take it easy because he had pneumonia and Adam repeated "Ammonia". So stinking cute!

Adam developed a rash on his face and torso about 30 minutes after I gave him his antibiotics Friday night. Saturday I had to take him back to the clinic for a third time. Thankfully we were in and out fast and his rash was not an allergic reaction, just Adam fighting a virus. Adam was feeling much better and he let me know he was not happy I was bringing him back to the doctor by screaming almost the whole entire time. Poor Little Guy fell asleep on the way home.

Today he asked to nap at 10 and then again at 1 and slept for almost 2 hours each nap! He's still working on getting healthy, hopefully by Christmas he'll be 100%. We have 2.5 days of work and then we'll be going to Cheeseland!

No comments: