Saturday, April 30, 2011

Welcome Eli David

Eli David was born on Wednesday April 27th.


On Monday Adam was getting over the stomach flu so I stayed home to take care of him. We had the best mommy and son day playing outside, going for a long walk and watching cartoons together. Then on Monday night I hit my breaking point. I had had a headache and tooth/jaw pain on my left side of my head wake me up and keep me up since Friday night (I couldn't sleep lying down and even with my head up it hurt). On Monday night the throbbing was the worst it had been and Tylenol was not working. So Tuesday morning Dave took me to urgent care for what we figured was a sinus infection. After getting the full work up for pre-eclampsia and yet another non-stress test the urgent care doctor told me she wasn't convinced that my pain was from a sinus infection. She did agree that a good nights sleep would probably help, so I went home with a prescription for Tylenol with codine and some antibiotics that I had to decide if I wanted to take.


I did get a good nights sleep on Tuesday night- thank goodness. I went to work on Wednesday in the morning and when I got home I really, really wanted to clean. It was like there was a list of things I wanted to do running through my head. I somehow convinced myself it would be ok and I should rest. So I rested and then got up a little before my doctors appointment and did a little straightening around the house. I really wasn't ready to go into labor, and I wanted another weekend, but somehow I new I wasn't going to get what I wanted. I called Dave to let him now I was on my way to get him, and I started to cry about not being ready and wishing I had threw our bags in the car and gone to kiss Adam at daycare.


My appointment was at 4:20. We were put in an exam room and I was sitting up on the table. Dave cracked a joke, I laughed and I felt my water break (and both my boys had mecomum in the water). It just kept spilling out everywhere, so he ran and got a nurse. Our doctor came in and said I was going to OB in the hospital and she would come check on me once she was done seeing other patients. I kept waiting for the contractions to pick up, but they weren't close or painful at all. I new something wasn't exactly right. And I was not really mentally prepared for the pain of childbirth.

My contractions were about 10 minutes a part and I was talking right through them, I barely felt them. But the thing that concerned me the most was every time I had a contraction I felt more fluid come out. When our doctor checked me she couldn't feel his head (and I was only about 1 cm dilated). She brought in the ultrasound machine and sure enough he was transverse again. Our little stinker still had enough room to move from head down to transverse and back again. Well it was either attempt a version with my water broken, or c-section. After she talked to some other doctors, c-section was the only option I was presented with. So Little Eli David was born via c-section at 7:56 PM.

I was awake during the c-section. I saw them take the little guy out and work on getting him to breath and then I heard his little cry. I just assumed it would sound familiar, something like Adam's infant cry. Eli's cry sounded so different and he looks like Eli and not like Adam at all. Even though I had a c-section I met Eli sooner than I met Adam and I think I'm healing faster than I did with Adam. So things are going very well.




Eli David Schwedler

April 27th, 2011

7:56 PM

7 pounds 6.5 ounces

20 inches long

14 inch head (wow we make babies with large heads)


No comments: