Monday, May 16, 2011

First Day Alone

It's hard to believe that I've been to busy to do a really good post lately, but I have been. Dave was home with me the first week and then last week Grandma Rose and Grandpa Dave were here. My mom and I got two big projects done- we added black out panels to the curtains in the boy's room and the guest room and we finished the quilt I started before Adam was born.

Eli is two and a half weeks old already. He's a great baby. He smiles all the time in his sleep and it's the most beautiful smile. I can't wait until he smiles at us when he's awake. He's a nuk baby through and through. With Adam I waited until he was two weeks old to break down and give him the nuk, Eli got it the first or second day home from the hospital. He'll cry and wiggle a bunch and then you give him the nuk and he settles right down. Sometimes he'll just sit in his swing with the nuk and stare at a book or window or desk. I'm starting to notice that Eli's on a schedule already. He sleeps for a solid three hours most afternoons. This weekend we had the "double down" twice (where both Adam and Eli are napping at the same time in the same room). This weekend was pretty low key for us. My parents left Saturday morning. We got Adam and Eli down for their naps in the afternoon and Dave and I vegged on the couch watching our DVR and spending quality time with our laptops. Then the boys got up at four and somehow we got them both fed and ready for church at 4:30. Church was slightly more stressful with two boys and two sets of hands (and one set that is forbidden to pick up big brother for several more weeks) in the front pew. At the beginning of church Adam said, "I wanna go see Jesus" as he tried to get past my legs blocking the isle. We both told Adam, look he's right there on the cross, you can see him from here. I need to find a garage sale and get a bunch of happy meal toy type stuff, because new toys are the only thing that keeps him distracted after 40 minutes of church.

After church we went out to dinner at Applebees. I survived my first public feeding of Eli and Adam did pretty well. It was still raining after supper so we decided that a couple laps around the mall were in order. The only problem- our mall closes at 6 PM on Saturday! So we stopped at Walmart instead and got some dirt and flowers.

Sunday was a beautiful day. The whole family slept in until 8 AM. Dave went up and brought Adam down to our bed and I got Eli and all 4 of us cuddled for 5 minutes to start our day. We walked to Subway using our awesome double Phil & Teds stroller to get lunch. Then we went to three of the plant shops to get the flowers and veggies for our garden. We got a shorter double down nap when we got home- just enough time for me to plant two of my containers, so the rest will wait.

Thankfully last night Adam went down to bed at 8:15 with minimal drama. He's been difficult to get to nap and sleep for a couple of weeks now. His two year old molars are coming in, so hopefully once he's done working on them he'll get back to his normal self.

It was a great weekend and I'm really looking forward to my first week alone with Eli. My baby that gets noticeably bigger each night and is growing out of newborn clothes and fitting in to three month sleepers already!

No comments: