Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Say Ya to the UP 'Eh

Dave and I hadn't been back to the UP 'Eh since the summer before we had Adam.  So when I got a wedding invitation for one of my dear sorority sisters and senior year roomie I couldn't pass up the opportunity to head back to where we went to school and fell in love.  After the c-section birth of Eli I thought about canceling our trip, but I'm so glad I didn't.  I'm really feeling almost completely back to my old self (except I haven't started working out yet).

So I packed up the car on Thursday and we headed out of town as soon as Dave got off work.  We made it a little over an hour before Eli needed to eat and Adam wanted supper.  After a long 45 minute dinner/diaper break we were back on the road only to stop again in less than an hour.  This time not only was it a diaper and feeding break, but we put the boys in there jammies so that they hopefully would sleep.  Adam did not want to fall asleep in his car seat.  He kept asking to go home, which he's never asked for that before.  It was a late 1:30 AM when we got to Houghton, but at least we didn't have to drive again that day.  We slept in Friday morning and got a late check out time so that Adam could play in the kiddie pool.

Then we drove to campus and took Adam to see the Huskies ice arena and bought some cute Tech gear for the boys.  Adam has a Huskies baseball cap now!  Eli got a bib and Dave and I both bought new Tech polos for work.  Then we ate on Campus in the MUB.  It was a little strange to bring my children into the place I ate lunch everyday at school.  Then we pulled out two strollers and walked around campus.  We took our time soaking in our old stomping grounds.  We weren't on a schedule and we weren't rushing anything.  We sat
under some trees and let Adam run around picking up sticks while Dave and I sipped on an iced latte.  

Last we walked down by the Portage.  We wanted to take the boys to the spot where Dave proposed.  As we walked there we reminisced about the proposal.  I asked Dave what made him decide to propose there and we both thought about it for a little while and then it came to us at the same time- that's where we had our first kiss!   Almost 10 years later and we both momentarily forgot!  As we came to the spot on the trail where he proposed I found some Lilly of the Valley on the side of the path- how perfect!  After some quick photos Eli woke up and reminded us it was almost time to eat. 


The Proposal Spot
We quickly walked back to a bench that was right on the water.   I took my shoes and socks off and enjoyed the cool Lake Superior water that fills the Portage on my feet while Eli ate.  Adam and Dave threw rocks in the Portage.  I really enjoy that breastfeeding requires me to stop what I'm doing every couple hours and enjoy the moment. 

That night we met up with Dave's parents for pizza at the Ambassador before we made the hour trip north to Copper Harbor to stay in a cabin at the Keweenaw Mountain Resort.  This is getting a little long, so the rest of the trip will have to come in a second post.  I need to get some laundry started before Eli wakes up.

No comments: