Monday, September 5, 2011

Not Winning Mother of the Year

I'll just put it out there.  I locked my children in the van.  Yep both sets of keys in the car at the gas station at the start of our trip to Madison.  We had just finished dropping Brockway off with my brother in White Bear Lake and we needed gas.  Dave went in to buy a hot dog for himself and I watched the pump while cleaning the windows.  I decided to also clean the inside of the drivers window and somehow I hit the lock button before shutting the door.  I kept my cool and waited for Dave by convincing myself he must have his keys with him.  As he walked back to the car I noticed his huge key chain sitting on the center console.  And I lost it.  How could I lock my kids in the car?  Eli was recently fed and diapered and so was Adam.  They thought it was hilarious when we looked into the car at them.  Eli smiled and Adam waved.

The White Bear cops show up really fast when you tell them you locked your kids in the car.  But let it be known that a Honda Odyssey is a very, very hard car to break into.  We had two cops trying for over 25 minutes to get our car open, but nothing was working.  We even called a Honda Dealership for pointers and they told us we were doing it right, put a wedge in the door and use a long pole to push the unlock button.  We pushed and pushed, but the doors would not unlock.  Eli started to scream and I could see Adam's little mouth saying, "Hold me, hold me, hold me, hold me!"  I was ready to break our window to get in when thank goodness a tow truck pulled up to the pump next to us.  One of the guys asked if he could give it a try and we said sure.  With in two minutes the doors were open and I was kissing and hugging my little boys. 

So no Mother of the Year Award for me, but thankfully someone was looking out for us.

No comments: